Thursday, September 30, 2010

Phil Lewis, 1925-2010


Last month my uncle Phil Lewis died, and the weekend of the 19th I went to LA for his memorial service and career retrospective, organized by his daughter, my cousin Janet. The above mixed media piece isn't typical of his work, but I wanted to include it on the blog because it's such a great picture of Phil.

The memorial service was everything it should have been, laughing and crying and the palpable sense that Phil was present among us. And in a very real sense he was--the artwork that was his lifeblood from the 1940s right up until the end hung on the walls of the gallery, and almost all the people still alive in his circle were there.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you wrote here Scott, cousin of mine. When I begin to make moves toward putting a real art book together of Dad's art, including a biography, I would love it if you would help me write it.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above Scott. Thanks for posting. Any more? jpt

    ReplyDelete