Friday, April 9, 2010

The Wayback machine

In the eighties I managed a cafeteria in a dormitory on the Boulevard St. Michel in Paris. We only served a continental breakfast in those days, but earlier in the century the dorm provided three hot meals a day for its several hundred residents, and the abandoned institutional kitchen in the basement was a source of spooky fascination.
Rotting furniture:
Kind of a "Shining" vibe here.
A bin full of sawdust, for what purpose I don't know, unless it was for that time-honored tradition of absorbing vomit off the floor upstairs:
Drawers full of unused silver. Bet that drawer is empty today.
The building's main elevator would take you down there, but the only way down from the cafeteria was via a very rickety old spiral staircase, and it was dark as hell down there. I am not ashamed to admit that I was scared shitless every time I had to go down there by myself.

As always, click to enlarge! (Images copyright Scott Phillips, 2010)

5 comments:

  1. Good photos, a touch of Lynch about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love places like this. Creepy shit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't want to blurt her name out on FB. Sheri Reynolds-all her books have large cat populations. Be looking forward to reading about your house sitters some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! Wow. I'm just glad I never ate anything that might've been prepared in that abandoned kitchen.

    ReplyDelete