Friday, May 22, 2009

Attack of the Great Apes


My favorite nineteenth c. genre of sculpture is animals attacking other types of animals. The French had a particular thing for these. There are several in the Jardin des Tuileries, and you find them here and there in parks and museums. Above is a shot I took a few years ago at the Muséum de l'Histoire Naturelle in Paris. That is one fucking savage Rangy-tangy.

And below is another favorite I found on the web: A chimp attacking a dolphin, from the Parc de l'Orangerie in Strasbourg (I have my own picture of it somewhere, but would never be able to find it):

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/21948/photo20.html?photosize=small

1 comment:

  1. Gret pic there, Scott. I don't know much, if anything, about sculpture, but that is a beautiful piece of art to my eyes.

    The monkey vs. dolphin is incredible, too. Bizarre, but incredible.

    ReplyDelete